Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Three little girls


I've got my crafting mojo back, now all I need is more time. I know that different people have mentioned this at different times, but I honestly don't know how some crafty mothers out there manage to achieve all they do. Actually forget the crafty bit, just managing the day to day well is impressive enough for me (what clean house?!).

My girls are almost 5 and 19 months and aside from the two days a week I'm at work and they're with family, they're with me all day every day. Ella has kinder one day when I'm not at work, but that's only for 4 hours and then Leila's with me and awake. I certainly don't play with both of them every second in the same way that I did when Ella was younger - then it was all about her - but I am with them all the time and don't really manage to do anything that doesn't involve them. When I'm sewing I include them with crafts of their own, but invariably the process is disturbed, for me, with another distraction of some kind. Leila's too small to really participate and if she does it usually involves a LOT of mess. That's all fine, but my whole point is wondering how other mothers manage their time. I know that some craft at night but that's not me. We don't eat until around 8:30 so after that I can manage some time with Geoff and then I'm headed to bed.

I can only think that perhaps others have time without the kids much more than I do. I have a friend who has no family around and uses childcare for her own sanity two once a week so she can have time for herself. I certainly don't judge her doing that, but it's not something I'd be comfortable with. Perhaps other children are more self sufficient than mine, perhaps other mums are less interactive with their kids, I honestly can't figure it it. I wish I could, because I end up feeling a little inadequate that I can't juggle more than 6 things at a time!

I had hoped to participate in this market in November, but honestly, it's not realistic to think I could - I just don't get enough time to work on the dolls. I would want to go with at least 30 dolls to make it worthwhile and to make that many - well, even if I worked on 3 a week (which would be huge for me), that would take me at least 3 months and I just don't have that time. I'll just have to try and crank it up a little and get more into the shop in the next couple of months, hopefully tempt some sales for Christmas.

So, after all that distraction, these three little girls just need to be dressed. They're for a custom order, three little girls for three little sisters in Brisbane for Christmas, I'm so excited that they'll be together!

4 comments:

Sandy said...

It would be awesome if you could participate in Matilda’s Market. It sounds like a great venue. You're not alone in wanting more time for yourself. I don't get a break until after my kids are in bed. I sympathize with you on not having enough time to do EVERYTHING, but you are doing an amazing job.

zeliaevora said...

they are beautiful!

juls4real said...

Sweet little girls and dolls, too.

Michelle said...

I understand what you mean about no time. I have three kids - one at school, but the other two are home with me all the time (and I work from home too). There are just not enough hours in the day. Makes me wonder what I used to do with all my time before I had children.

Your dolls are very lovely too - may be hunting for some of them before too long.