Friday, September 05, 2008

"For you a thousand times".......

I stayed up hours longer than I normally do last night and only closed my eyes minutes before midnight. I lay in the dark finishing The Kite Runner, or more devouring its remaining half, for more than two hours.

I cried with anger at the hurt of it all. I read on despite being able to tell where it was leading me. I went and kissed my own babes one more time last night and thanked something, although I don't believe in religious power, for where geography and perhaps just good fortune had found my own parents making a life for us.

I loved this book. I have rediscovered my love of reading, of words, of the escape and pleasure they give me.

6 comments:

Pina said...

This book is borrowed in my library all the time. People make reservations well ahead to get it. I will wait a while to get it, like I had to wait for books about Harry Potter.

I am also grateful that I live in such peaceful country (well, we were lucky to had only 10 days of war in the 90's) and that I was born here where I live right now.

Christelle said...

I understand why you couldn't stop reading, this is a very amazing book. I know that a new book has been released lately.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean, it just grabs you. I am now reading his second book A Thousand Splendid Suns and plan to go to bed early to have a good read. It takes you to similar places and does make you realise how lucky we are to be living in this country surrounded by our family.

Sandy said...

I was completely rivoted and torn up inside after reading the book. It's no wonder that the book was on the New York Times bestseller list at #1 forever. What are you going to read next?

paperseed said...

Certainly a very powerful story.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this book too...