Wednesday, June 30, 2010

93


Some months ago a friend lent me a book. I hadn't heard of it before, knew of the writer only because of other events in her life, not for her work as an author. I'm so grateful, however, that someone who hasn't known me so long, read this book and thought of me when they did so.

I cannot recommend it to you highly enough, to the women who are reading, for although it applies to us all it really is a book by a woman about and for other women. It's also a timeless book, written in 1955 and yet so absolutely contemporary.

I am not at all religious, but I believe greatly in the power of the heart and of the individual will. Writing those words it sounds a little, I don't know, a little worthy, but having read this book (twice), I will return the one I have, but have also ordered my own copy, for this is a book I will refer to for many years to come and give to my daughters also.

This book is about life and love, relationships with family, partners, friends and children. It's about balancing life and how torn we are (and also were in the 1950's it seems), how we're constantly struggling to get it right. It's about how to maintain a healthy spirit. It's not preachy and it's not a self help book. It is, however, wonderful.

6 comments:

Jasmine said...

Thanks for this post! My mother in law gave a copy of this book to me years ago and I must have felt a bit of resistance to it (her) because I didn't give it much of a go. Will dig it up and have another try!

Selina said...

Sounds like I will need to check this one out! Thank you for the heads up.

Mercie said...

What a beautiful synopsis of the book and all that it means to you. It's rare that we find books that move us deeply enough that we wish to pass them along to our children. I'm going to read it as soon as I finish my current book. Thank you so much for introducing it to me.

Tamara said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I think it is a book I will reread often.

I still have your plate from that yummy cake.

We are off on our getaway on Wednesday!!

Kiki said...

Thank you, I have just put this book on reserve at the library. I will really enjoy this book after reading a few reviews.
Many years ago (before motherhood) I read a book that sounds similar, however I can't think of its title. I'll giggle if it is the same book, no doubt I'll read it in a very different light nowadays.

Sandy said...

I'm always looking for a good book. Thanks for the recommendation.